List of Commonly Requested Auxotrophic Strains
Here is a list of auxotrophic strains organized by amino acid. The JW strains are all from the Keio collection of single gene knockouts and are therefore all in the same genetic background (strain BW25113) When another strain is listed, it is the strain that was most commonly requested/sent for that particular auxotrophy.
- Alanine There are multiple pathways for alanine biosynthesis, and no known complete auxotrophs exist.
- Arginine Knockout in argA (Strains JW2786-1 and NK5992)
- Asparagine Requires knockouts in both asnA and asnB (strain ER)
- Aspartic acid Requires knockouts in both aspC and tyrB (strain DL39)
- Cysteine Knockout in cysE (Strains JW3582-2 and JM15)
- Glutamic acid Requires knockouts in both gltB and gdhA (strain PA340)
- Glutamine Knockout in glnA (Strains JW3841-1 and M5004)
- Glycine Knockout in glyA (Strains JW2535-1 and AT2457)
- Histidine Knockout in hisB (Strains JW2004-1 and SB3930)
- Isoleucine Knockout in ilvA (Strain JW3745-2 and AB1255)
- Leucine Knockout in leuB (Strain JW5807-2 and CV514)
- Lysine Knockout in lysA (Strain JW2806-1 and KL334)
- Methionine Knockout in metA (Strain JW3973-1 and DL41)
- Phenylalanine Knockout in pheA (Strain JW2580-1 and KA197)
- Proline Knockout in proA (Strain JW0233-2 and NK5525)
- Serine Knockout in serA (Strain JW2880-1 and JC158)
- Threonine Knockout in thrC (Strain JW0003-2 and Gif 41)
- Tryptophan Knockout in trpC (Strain JW1254-2 and CAG18455)
- Tyrosine Knockout in tyrA (Strain JW2581-1 and N3087)
- Valine/Isoleucine/Leucine Knockout in ilvD (Strain JW5605-1 and CAG18431)
This is by no means an exhaustive list, and there are, in most cases, other genes in the biosynthetic pathway that can lead to auxotrophy.