KL414      Source of Strain:
F- Chromosomal Markers: araC14
, thiE1Strain Comments:
- This strain may carry malA38 and sup-78, an uncharacterized mutation near his which confers a Mal+ phenotype.
- This strain was originally grown in LB with 0.5% salt, thymine should also be added
- leuB6(Am)-- Suppressed by serU suppressor (supH)
- recA56-- Amino acid substitution Arg 60 Cys
- thyA54-- Strains with this marker must have their medium supplemented with thymine (25ug/ml). This is true even for rich medium such as LB. Otherwise thymine starvation can lead to thymineless death.
- polA12(ts)-- : sensitive to temperature and to low salt; altered pH optimum. Normal Exo levels. Totally defective in nick translation at 42C. recA56 polA12 are ts for growth.
- proC32 was formerly called proC65
- thiE1 was formerly called thi-1
- Am = amber(UAG) mutation
- SpcR = spectinomycin resistant
- Stable = stable, non-reverting
- strR = streptomycin resist.
- ts = Temperature Sensitive
- Lloyd, R.G., K.B. Low, G.N. Godson, E.A. Birge 1974. Isolation and characterization of an Escherichia coli K-12 mutant with a temperature-sensitive RecA- phenotype. J.Bacteriol. 120:407-415