GS5      Source of Strain:
F- Chromosomal Markers: lacY1 or lacZ4 or lacY29
, metB1Strain Comments:
- This strain gave a mixture of large and minute colonies on supplemented minimal in the absence of Ade. Parent strain carries purE41, so the strain may carry this allele and show leaky growth and reversion.
- This strain requires alpha-glycerol-3-phosphate (or glucose-6-phosphate in the absence of glucose.)
- thyA25-- Strains with this marker must have their medium supplemented with thymine (25ug/ml). This is true even for rich medium such as LB. Otherwise thymine starvation can lead to thymineless death.
- NalR = Nalidix.acidResist.
- strR = streptomycin resist.
- Sprague, G.F., R.M. Bell, J.E. Cronan 1975. A mutant of Escherichia coli auxotrophic for organic phosphates: evidence for two defects in inorganic phosphate transport. Mol.Gen.Genet. 143:71-77