CJ236      Source of Strain:
pCJ105 Plasmid Markers/Mutations: F::CamR
, CamR Plasmid Comment:
F+ with deletion of small HindIII fragment and addition of a chloramphenicol resistance cassette. [Tra+ Pil+ CamR]. Chromosomal Markers: λ-
, thiE1Strain Comments:
- 1.This strain was constructed by mating pCJ105 into an F- derivative of B. Weiss strain BW313. pCJ105 is an F-factor carrying a chloramphenicol resistance marker
- 2.and is a derivative of pOX38 of Guyer et al. (1981 Cold Spring Harbor Symp.Quant.Biol.45:135). The plasmid is described in the reference cited below.
- 3. The use of this strain in preparing uracil-containing M13 templates is described in Methods Enzymol. 154:367. [Please note the following: (1) Streak on LB agar plus
- 4. ca. 15 ug/ml chloramphenicol to ensure that you start with an F+ host. (2) Cam is much more potent in liquid culture, so beware Cam selection in liquid media.
- 5. (3) CJ236 is non-suppressing. Do not use M13 vectors that carry amber mutations (mp8,9 and some mp10,11). Pers.Comm.C.M.Joyce]
- dut-1-- Reference: Hochhauser & Weiss 1978 J. Bacteriol. 134:157.
- spoT1-- In addition to the 6bp insertion, there is a C to T transition resulting in an H257Y substitution.
- thiE1 was formerly called thi-1
- Joyce, C.M., N. Grindley 1984. Method for determining whether a gene of Escherichia coli is essintial: application to the polA gene. J.Bacteriol. 158:636-643