JT31      Source of Strain:
F- Chromosomal Markers: lacZ1125
(strR), spoT1Strain Comments:
- Cannot utilize proline as C or N source. More sensitive to L-azetidine-w-carboxylate and 3,4-dehydroproline than parent, CSH4
- lacZ1125-- is a nonsense mutation in interval 6 of the lacZ gene. It may be the NG125 amber mutation of Newton et al, 1965 or one of the other interv, 6 nonsense mutations of Zipser et al.1970.
- putA1::Tn5-- results in white colonies on proline-supplemented TTC medium (Bochner and Savageau, Appl.Environ.Microbiol.33:434)
- trpA49(Am)-- is the amber mutation formerly called trp-8am by Brenner.
- rpsL150(strR)-- T to C transition mutation resulting in a K43R amino acid substitution.
- spoT1-- In addition to the 6bp insertion, there is a C to T transition resulting in an H257Y substitution.
- = kanamycin resistant
- Am = amber(UAG) mutation
- strR = streptomycin resist.
- Wood, J.M. 1981. Genetics of L-proline utilization in Escherichia coli. J.Bacteriol. 146:895-901